Friday, December 13, 2013

A Review: BeautyCounter Lip Products

I had never heard of BeautyCounter before, so I was intrigued when one of their consultants reached out to me through this blog to ask if I would like to try their products.  In the blog article she commented on, I was specifically wanting to find a lip product that was non-toxic and didn't contain all of those nasty ingredients.  So, after some quick research on the company and their products, I agreed that I would try out their lip products and provide a review on them.  Thank you Heather Jadus for the product!

BeautyCounter has a selection process on what ingredients make it into their products.  It is honestly quite refreshing. Here's an explanation from their website:
Beautycounter has embraced a whole-­picture approach to product formulation. Our Ingredient Selection Process includes these three steps:

1) We eliminate over a thousand commonly used ingredients right off the bat because of concerns about their effects on people’s long-term health. We will not use the 1300 chemical ingredients that are banned in the European Union or the 11 that are banned or restricted in the U.S. Then we consult our own robust Never List, which includes dozens of cosmetic chemicals that are linked to cancer, reproductive harm and cell damage.

2) If a potential ingredient is not on these lists, we put it through our industry-leading safety Screen, which helps us identify any known or suspected safety concerns. Our Screen represents the most consumer-­conscious approach in the market today.

3) We check to make sure that we need the ingredient at all. Every ingredient in our products has a function; nothing is used without careful consideration for efficacy and performance. No unwanted extras, no dyes, no mysteries. Just ingredients with purpose.

We endeavor to lead by example to inspire true change in the beauty industry.
The product that I tried was their 'Quintessential Collection'.  It is a set that includes two lip sheers in Twig (lighter) and Plum (darker) shades, and a lip shine (gloss).

What I love:
- Goes on super smooth, very silky
- Color is buildable- the photo on the right is just one layer, you can apply more for a deeper color.
Wearing Plum with Lip Shine
- The lip shine is not sticky (I hate it when my hair sticks to my lips on a windy day!)
- No weird taste or smell - it actually smells and tastes delicious and vanilla-ey
- Doesn't accentuate the lines on my lips, they look smoother
- These two shades are perfect for a day shade and a night shade
- The company's values behind the product and how they decide what ingredients to include.

What I don't love:
- The wear doesn't last extremely long, however most my lip products do not last very long on me
- It's a little pricey, I'm used to spending anywhere from $10 - $18 on a lipstick, not $25.

I also had my mom try it out and she LOVED it.  I will most certainly use this stuff up and consider repurchasing when it's gone.  Check out their site, lots of fun gift ideas for those ladies on your list!

https://heatherjadus.beautycounter.com/Shop/Product/66
Here's a fun play makeup gift idea for little girls!

No comments: