Monday, March 12, 2007

So, I was reading through my devotionals this morning and it just so happened to be about doing your work wholeheartedly. The bible verse they gave was Eph. 6:6-7 -

6
Try to please them all the time, not just when they are
watching you. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with
all your heart.

7
Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for
the Lord rather than for people.

The reason this stuck out to me so much was that I have been struggling to enjoy my work and understand why I am there. I have had no doubts that God placed me there. The whole thing was surreal, and fast. Since I've been there they haven't hired anyone as fast as me. There is no other way that I could have been hired there with the benefits they offered me. It was a God thing.

One of my previous posts touched on the fact that I am learning my purpose for being at this job- I was given the word Patience. Now I am understanding that not only should I have patience, but while I am working at this place I need to be enthusiastic, happy, as if I was doing all of my daily duties for the Lord, rather than my boss or my customers.

Let me give you an idea of where my thoughts have been lately:
I have been thinking that the ideal job would be doing missionary work, or working for the church- some "real" godly work, not some office place sitting on my fanny helping people with computer problems. I had a hard time trying to figure out why people, more in general- christian people, could stand having these office jobs when they knew of the mission fields, and the lost, etc that needed so much help. I was focused on the idea that in order to be happy, and to make God happy, one should be doing such work where they were saving souls and sharing the word.

Darlene Sala wrote "Sometimes it's hard to think you're working for the Lord when you're changing a baby's diaper, or shopping at the market, or planning the sales event for the company where you work. Yet in doing the mundane, ordinary tasks, it's your attitude that makes all the difference in the world". This was my wake-up call. After reading this I hit smack-dab, into a brick wall at full speed. I was confronted with one of the reasons why I must be at my work, surrounded by people who mock Christianity and always asking if I was one of those "religious people". This whole time I have been admitting to them that I am a Christian, yet staying in the safety zone by not saying anything when they were talking 'smack' and being rather crude around me.

I think it's time for me to step up to the plate, get out of my safety-zone and be ready to get uncomfortable so that I can have the guts to admit it when they are making lude comments, maybe someday they will see something different in me that they don't have. Maybe they will someday want that missing piece. Maybe they will even trust me enough and want to learn more about what makes me tick and why I am so different than they are. Honestly, I don't think I have shown myself to be that incredibly different than they.

This morning was my wake up call and I am going to take it.


No comments: